ʔaq̓am is an inclusive, democratic community that welcomes participation by all Community Members through elections, Band meetings, consultations, and other outreach initiatives.
The ʔaq̓am Community Council consists of a Chief and four Councillors. All Council positions are determined through Band elections, which take place every two years. These four-year terms are staggered through alternating elections, with the Chief and two Councillors elected at one election and the remaining two Councillors elected two years later. The ʔaq̓am Community is a member of the Ktunaxa Nation Council.
Governance in our community is guided by the objectives outlined in our document 'Our Thinking'.
- Develop and implement a system for selecting leaders based on community consensus about who is best for the job.
- Build leadership capabilities, skills, starting from a young age, based on individual strengths, passions, and potential.
- Support leaders so that they can fulfill their roles, including appropriate pay and recognition.
- Provide respectful, constructive input and feedback to leaders and staff so they can make informed decisions.
- Practice clear, respectful, and timely communication.
- Develop the effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability of our community government.
- Manage our human resources to maximize individual potential and community benefits.
- Build meaningful, profitable relationships with neighbour communities, organizations, and corporations.
- Create and sustain financial strength and independence as a community.
We strive to govern ourselves effectively as a self-determining community within the Ktunaxa Nation.